System Requirements and Installation in ArcGIS 10.0
The current release of ArcGIS Editor for OSM that is compatible with ArcGIS 10.0 is available for download
. The system requirements differ depending on which components - the Desktop component or Server component - are installed. See the requisite sections below for the Desktop and Server components.
If you save data to an enterprise geodatabase, you will be subject to the column character length limitations of that database software. This can easily happen because of the automatic nature of generating the column names based on the OSM tag
Enterprise geodatabase size and name limits
for column length limitations for each RDBMS vendor. See
for workarounds if the column names do exceed the character length limits.
Desktop component requirements
- The ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap works with any Windows version of
ArcGIS for Desktop 10 (ArcView, ArcEditor, or ArcInfo) service pack 3 and higher.
IMPORTANT: ArcGIS for Desktop must be installed before the ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap can be installed.
Note! Through the
ArcGIS for Home Use Program, users can purchase a non-commercial license for ArcGIS that includes many extensions for US$100/yr.
- ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop beta versions are not supported.
Server component requirements
The following operating systems have been tested. If you find other OS that work well, please let us know.
Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Windows 2003 Server SP2 32 & 64 bit
- Windows 2008 Server 32 & 64-bit
- Windows 2008 R2 Server 64-bit
- Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows XP 32-bit SP3
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit SP1 - IMPORTANT: for Windows Vista, please use the installer posted
IIS is required for the Server component. If not installed/enabled, the installer will disable the Server component option in the installer if running the 10.0-compatible version, or abort the installation if running the 10.1-compatible version.
Third Party Components
The installer checks for certain third party components. If not present, a dialog will appear giving you the option to agree to their license and install them, or exit the installation.
ArcGIS for Server
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0
- Microsoft ASP.Net MVC3
- Microsoft Entity Framework
- ArcGIS for Server 10.0 SP3 or SP4 (.NET) (GIS Services) should be installed on the machine hosting the ArcGIS Editor for OSM Server component.
- The ArcGIS Editor for OSM Server Component installation will require login information for a user in the agsadmin group. Therefore, you must have this user's username and login credentials on hand.
- ArcGIS 10 for Server (Java) is not supported.
ArcSDE can be installed locally or on a different server. Note that if installed on a different server, you may need to add an entry (e.g., esri_sde 5151/tcp #ArcSDE) for the sde service in the local c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file. You can update
the \\<serverName>\C$\inetpub\wwwroot\OSM\web.config file for where the SDE file is:
<add key="DatabaseConnection" value="C:\Data\OSM\Mxds\osmdevsde.sde" />
Both the windows service or the direct connect setups for ArcSDE will work.
- ArcSDE for SQL Server
- SQL Server 2005 SP2 & SP3 (32-bit)
- SQL Server 2005 SP2 & SP3 (64-bit)
- SQL Server 2008 Final - R2 (64-bit)
- SQL Server Express 2008 R2 (64 bit)
- ArcSDE for Oracle
- Oracle 11g R2 (64-bit) 220.127.116.11
- ArcSDE for Postgres
- PostgreSQL 8.4.9-1 (32-bit)
Important: if you have an earlier version of ArcGIS Editor for OSM installed, you should uninstall this before installing a newer release
You can choose to install the Server component, the Desktop component, or both when running the installer. Note that to run the installer, you will need to have administration privileges on the machine upon which you are installing.
If you choose only the Desktop component
The installation is fairly straightforward if you only install the Desktop component. When running the installation setup.exe, select the Desktop component check box. Then, choose an installation directory, follow instructions to click through the wizard, and
then click Finish at the end. After installation, a page will launch with instructions for how to get started with the Desktop tools. After installation of the Desktop component, three items are installed to your ArcGIS Desktop environment:
- A set of geoprocessing tools and models to download, extract, and upload vector data from and to the OpenStreetMap server.
- Customizations to the core editor environment in ArcMap to handle the OpenStreetMap tags inside the core Esri software.
- A conflict editor user interface to similar to the
Reconcile Version tool for enterprise geodatabases.
If you choose only the Server component, or both the Server component and Desktop component
The installation has additional steps for the Server component. First, the installer will ask for connection information to your ArcGIS Server instance and your ArcSDE instance. There will be two screens in the installer for this, both shown and explained below:
Input to the Server Parameters part of the Installer
- Directories and ArcGIS Server Parameters
- Working Folder: where the template MXDs and ArcSDE geodatabase information is stored. Default is C:\Data\OSM.
- Output Folder: where the output MXD ArcGIS Server uses for the feature service is stored. Default is C:\arcgisserver\arcgisoutput.
- Server Name: Name of the server hosting ArcGIS Server.
- Virtual Directory: URL from which users will access ArcGIS Server, e.g., http://serverName/ArcGIS.
- Admin Account for ArcGIS Server where Feature Service will run
- User Name: ArcGIS Server user that already exists and is already in the agsadmin group
- Password: Password for the ArcGIS Server user
Then, click Next
, and you will see the next connection input interface:
- SDE Connection
- Server: servername of the machine hosting the sde service (must be accessible to the machine upon which ArcGIS Editor for OSM - Server is being installed). Both the windows service or the direct connect configurations for ArcSDE will work.
- Service: name of the sde service
- Database: name of the sde database (typically 'sde'
- Version: version of the sde database (typically 'sde.DEFAULT')
- User Name: sde username
- Password: sde password
After filling out this form, click Next and continue with the installation. The installer will then check for the presence of the required
components. If these are not present, you will need to accept their license agreements and install them through the installer interface to proceed with the Server component installation. If you do not accept the licensing
and installation of these components, then the Server component will not be installed.
When the installer is finished, a page will launch with instructions on how to access your new feature service creation interface and what to do next. If you have installed the Server component and your Operating System is Windows XP or Windows Server 2003,
you will need to carry out some
. Otherwise, see
ArcGIS Editor for OSM Feature Service
for how to use the newly installed Feature Service interface.
To uninstall, use the Windows Add/Remove Programs functionality to remove ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap.