Revision table not populating after editing

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Edited Nov 17, 2015 at 12:55 AM
I am trying to edit sidewalk tags along streets using the OSM editor for ArcGIS, and after I make edits, my revision table remains empty. Do I need to be editing tags in the attributes window for them to be recorded? If so, how do I configure the editor to take drop down domains for sidewalk tags? The default configuration does not have a domain for sidewalk tags.
Developer
Nov 17, 2015 at 1:29 AM
Neil,

you need to add the OSM extension to the point, line, and polygon feature classes.

This document should outline the general workflow.

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-osm-editor/wiki/Edit-osm-data-and-upload-to-osm
  • Thomas
Nov 17, 2015 at 4:53 PM
Thanks Thomas! I have added the OSM extension to all of the layers and was able to get edits to the geometry of the lines/points/polys, as well as the attributes that already have drop-down domains in the attribute window (e.g., highway), but I'm not sure how to get the sidewalk tag to have a domain (left, right, both, no) within the OSM editor so that I can make edits. The edits that I make to the actual attribute table (via field calculator or creating a fgdb domain) don't seem to be populated in the revision table, so I imagine that I need to find some way of configuring the editor to allow the editing of sidewalk tags through the OSM editing attribute window. I've tried to configure the OSM domains .xml document to allow for this, but it doesn't seem to give me a domain for the sidewalk tag when I edit. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for the help so far!

Neil
Developer
Nov 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2015 at 5:58 PM
Neil,

the domains you see in the attribute window are coming from the OSMFeaturesProperties.xml file. This file holds a list of common feature/attribute combinations as well as list for suggested domain values. You can always override the suggested values and enter your own value. Do take a look at the xml file and the structure itself should be understandable. You might want to add a tagkey on the bottom on file to be something like
<tagkey name="sidewalk" tagtype="tag_list">
    <tagvalue name="left"/>
    <tagvalue name="right"/>
    <tagvalue name="both"/>
    <tagvalue name="no"/>
</tagkey>
and then modify feature type 11 to the following
<osmfeature id="11" name="highway=residential" displayname="Residential" infoURL="http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dresidential">
    <tag ref="oneway" optional="true"/>
    <tag ref="name" optional="true"/>
    <tag ref="sidewalk" optional="true"/>
</osmfeature>
If you have bulk updates the workflow would be slightly different. First run the "OSM Attribute Selector" to extract the 'sidewalk' tag and make it its own attribute field that the geoprocessing framework can use. Then you do/compute your bulk updates as needed on the osm_sidewalk field. At this point nothing should be listed in the revision table. After this step you would run "Combine OSM Attributes" to add the standalone attribute back into the collection of all OSM tags and that would trigger the revision table being filled.
Nov 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM
Thank you, this is really helpful. So, I changed the OSMFeatureProperties.xml, as you explained above, and saved a copy of the .xml file. However, I can't seem to get the editor to link to this new .xml file. The documentation on GitHub says that I need to change the features properties file that the editor is pointing to and then logout and log back in to ArcMap to make this happen. I followed these steps, and the editor is still not recognizing the new location to read the .xml file (the space where the file path is supposed to be is blank whenever I leave and return to the OpenStreetMap tab in the Editing Options the dialogue window). Am I missing something in the workflow to change the OSMFeatureProperties file?
Developer
Nov 18, 2015 at 4:41 PM
You did indeed find a bug. In the meantime you can go to your Windows profile folder, for me it is "C:\Users\<WindowsUserName>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\OSMEditor" and look for the file called "osmeditor.config". Open this file in a text editor look for the last entry <osmfeatureporpertiesfilepath>. This contains a typo and should read <osmfeaturepropertiesfilepath>. Please correct the spelling as well as ensure that the entry points to your modified xml file.
Nov 18, 2015 at 5:02 PM
Great, that worked like a charm. I can now edit the sidewalk tags and the revision table is populating the edits. Thanks for your help, Thomas!

neil