Error using the "Load OSM file" tool

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM
I recently downloaded the 64bit version of OSM editor v2.1. I have tried multiple times attempting to download various OSM data sets, but it fails. The error we are recieving is "General error in the node loading routine". Always seems to fail at 10,300,000 nodes. It only seems to happen with larger data sets. Failed when trying to load OSM of Canada, then failed again when trying to load British Columbia, but it was successful with loading Prince Edward Island. BC was 7.5 GB, while PEI was 178 MB. Is there a fix for larger datasets?
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Hello Ryanhd20 - a couple of notes for clarifying. First, are you aware that this project is now maintained on GitHub (http://esriurl.com/osmeditor)? So, the product has advanced since version 2.1, and now has releases inline with the core ArcGIS for Desktop software (i.e., 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2.x). These releases are available for download from ArcGIS Online here - you don't need an account to access or download, you can do it anonymously; this link is for version 10.2.x, but if you need a different version for ArcGIS Desktop they are referenced in the Item Description on that page. If you apply one of these downloads, make sure you uninstall your previous ArcGIS Editor for OSM from the Windows Programs control panel before you install the newer version.

If you were aware of all that and do have the latest version downloadable from ArcGIS Online, then let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Many thanks!

Christine
Mar 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Hello.

Thank you for your help. We have trided the new OSM editor and it has imported the OSM data into A File GDB. We do however seem to be missing some fields, such as street names when we import the data. Is there any way to verify that we are getting all of the fields from the .OSM file.

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Hello Ryanhd20,
Good question. The Load OSM File tool does extract all the tags from the OSM XML and store them in the file geodatabase, but it doesn't create a column for each in the attribute field (you can imagine how large a table could quickly get if each tag had a column at the outset).

There is another tool that can extract specific tags or all the tags - the "OSM Attribute Selector" tool.

To get the street names, you can enter the tagged value in which you are interested, in the "Select OSM Tag Keys" field in the tool, or select ALL from the dropdown. My recommendation is to only extract the tags you need, as the tool will run faster.

Then you'll see additional information in the attribute table for the OSM feature class.

Christine
Mar 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Hello Christine,

Sorry, I have been away for a few days. Thank you for all your assistance. So, currently I am using Egypt for a test OSM file. I downloaded it onto a harddrive, then used the "Load OSM file" tool. Everything seems to work out fine. I have points, lines, and polygons. I also seem to have all the tags in the attribute tables: highway, building, natural, etc... although none of these fields are populated.

I am currently running the "OSM Attribute Selector" tool, however it is not working how I thought it would after reading your last post. Once the OSM has been loaded, I will take the points for example and add that into the tool. When the option to "Select OSM Tag Keys" the only available option to select is ALL. Is that correct?

Ryan
Developer
Mar 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Ryan,

that is correct. The reason for 'ALL' are UI and performance related. The attributes that you might think of as tags are not in the fields because they are tags but for a different reason, i.e. guiding the data capture process.

The tool documentation at https://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Tools&referringTitle=Documentation goes into a little more detail why you see the 'tags'.

The tool usage is outlined at https://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Extracting%20Specific%20Tags&referringTitle=Documentation

Hope it helps you get started.

Thomas
Mar 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Thank you for the reply Thomas,

I am currently running some prcesses right now, and I do intend to try the model you referred to. Just a quick question about the model. The computer I work with is not connected to the internet, and I am downloading the OSM data onto a external hard drive. Will the download function still work taking the data from the hard drive?

Ryan
Developer
Mar 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Ryan,

for that you would have to either modify the current model or create a new one. If you look through the tool collection you'll notice that there are two tools to get OSM data into ArcGIS. "Download OSM Data" is operating against the live interface of the OSM servers and as such requires an online connection. The second tool "Load OSM File" will take an existing OSM XML file from disk and load it into ArcGIS. When using this tool I usually go to Geofabrik and download the data I am interested in. Once you have the data on disk you can operate completely offline.

With respect to using the model, you can copy the existing model, delete the first step/tool ("Download OSM Data") and put the other tool ("Load OSM File") in its place. Reconnect the outputs (points, line, polygons) of the new tool to the tools downstream and you should be good to go.

Thomas