Problems making an all England network dataset

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I'm trying to load OSM data for England and build a network dataset. Before posting about specific problems that I'm encountering I would like to know if this is possible on ArcGIS 10.0, or is this something that I would need to do on 10.1? I'm running ArcGIS 10.0 on windows 7 and have loaded ArcGIS editor 2.1 RC to provide the tools. I eventually got the data loaded, (the data set england.osm,bz2 from cloudmade), but all of the line data seemed to be missing, but all of the point data appeared to be intact. The create network network data set went through a process with no errors but created an empty data set (clearly as thee were no lines to work with). I'd be interested to know if anyone else has been able to successfully create one network data set from this source data using arcgis 10.1?
Jul 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Hello rudgeg,
Good question - if you have ArcGIS 10.1, my recommendation is to try your workflow using our latest patch to the release, available at Please uninstall your existing ArcGIS Editor for OSM if installed, and then run the new setup. This patch has a fix for a memory error for the Load OSM File, so you can load larger areas without running out of memory. Also, before you run the Create OSM Network tool, make sure that background geoprocessing is unchecked (see The tool will not work if Background geoprocessing is enabled.

Let me know if the new version is working better for you, or if you have questions.