Loading the planet

May 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I'm looking to load the whole planet.

I can see that this has been done before with success even though it took 30 days.

What spec machines were used? What versions / options were used?

Which installation of ArcGIS Editor for OSM is preferred?

Which db was used (file, oracle, postgis)?

Any guidance much appreciated....
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Hello mjchave82,
Yes, we can provide some insight. The world geodatabase is going to be large - when we did it about a year ago, it was ~280 GB. So you'll need a machine with a lot of storage space (the .osm file will be large too, so plan for at least double). Beyond storage, there was nothing special about the machine we used; it had 4 GB of RAM, and was dedicated to the task. It took about 48 days to complete, but will probably go faster for you because there have been performance improvements.

Also - we've just fixed a memory leak bug (see http://github.com/Esri/arcgis-osm-editor/issues/3) that would prevent you from being able to load the world (or, even a whole country for that matter). The fix is in the dev branch of our github source code, and we'll be releasing a tested very soon. In the meantime, if you'd like to proceed with getting started loading the world right away, contact me through the codeplex users page with your email address and I can send the updated - and not yet posted - installer for you to test.

Best Regards,

Christine
May 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Thanks Christine.

What was the geodatabase? Oracle, Postgres or file?

Sent from my iPhone

Coordinator
May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM
It was a file GDB.

Christine
Aug 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I've been loading the planet for 4 weeks. It has completed nodes and has been building indexes for over a week.

I notice this morning it has come back with a warning:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

There are no other messages and it looks like its continuing...

Any advice? Does it look likes its not going to work?

Regards
Matt

Sent from my iPhone

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
The version I am using is 2.1.75.

Sent from my iPhone

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Hello Matt,
Thanks for confirming the version you are using - yes, that is the correct one that has the fix I noted earlier in this thread. The error you shared could be caused by a few reasons - as you noted, its not very specific. There isn't much you can do to provide further info, I'm going to check with the dev team and see if they have suggestions. Can you send your system specs in the meantime? E.g., RAM, Disk Space, OS?

Christine
Aug 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM
128gb RAM
5TB Storage
Win svr 2008 r2

Sent from my iPhone

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Thanks Matt - well, you certainly have enough storage space and RAM, so that's not the issue! Have you tried loading up smaller areas - 'smaller' meaning large countries or one of the continents - and were those successful?

Also - are you loading the feature dataset into a new file GDB? When you try with the countries or continent, test with that new gdb.

Let me know if the smaller loads are successful.

Christine
Aug 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Tried successfully with smaller country and it was fine before attempting planet.

This was into a new file gdb.

Sent from my iPhone