Load OSM problem

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I downloaded the file for Singapore (14.8Mb) from Geofabrik in format *.osm.pbf (at http://download.geofabrik.de/asia/malaysia-singapore-brunei.html) and I am trying to load it but I get the following error. Any help is greatly welcome.

Start Time: Fri Mar 29 11:18:36 2013
Counting elements in OSM file...
'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Int32 pos, Char invChar)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at ESRI.ArcGIS.OSM.GeoProcessing.OSMToolHelper.countOSMStuff(String osmFileLocation, Int32& nodeCapacity, Int32& wayCapacity, Int32& relationCapacity, ITrackCancel& CancelTracker)
at ESRI.ArcGIS.OSM.GeoProcessing.OSMGPFileLoader.Execute(IArray paramvalues, ITrackCancel TrackCancel, IGPEnvironmentManager envMgr, IGPMessages message)
Failed to execute (OSMGPFileLoader).
Failed at Fri Mar 29 11:18:38 2013 (Elapsed Time: 2.00 seconds)
Mar 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Hello nybi,
osm .pbf format is not supported in the Load OSM File tool; it has to be in .osm format, e.g., the malaysia-singapore-brunei-latest.osm.bz2 file. Download that file, unzip it with a utility like 7zip, and then browse to the resulting .osm file when you use the Load OSM File tool.

Also - if you are using the ArcGIS Editor for OSM for version 10 (e.g., not 10.1), you may need to uninstall and reinstall a new version of the ArcGIS Editor for OSM. See the note on this release regarding support for 64 bit node IDs (which became required as of Feb 9, 2013 when the OSM node count exceeded 32 bit integers): http://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/releases/view/103396

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Hi eggwhites,
Thanks a lot for the advice. It surely makes a lot of sense. So I downloaded the new files and now I get the following error. Note that I named my target file "SingaporeOSM". I have no idea what SingaporeOSM_osm_revision is supposed to be.
Any help?
Thanks again.

Start Time: Fri Mar 29 19:28:14 2013
Counting elements in OSM file...
Counted 1594400 nodes, 188352 ways, and 1267 relations.
Preparing geodatabase...
Unable to create a revision table (The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'SingaporeOSM_osm_revision'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.).
Failed to execute (OSMGPFileLoader).
Failed at Fri Mar 29 19:29:04 2013 (Elapsed Time: 50.00 seconds)
Mar 30, 2013 at 12:44 AM
The revision table is created with the point, line, and polygon feature classes that go with the feature dataset the .osm file is being translated into. The revision table is used to track any edits made to the downloaded data in case you want to upload them back to OSM later on (Upload OSM Data tool).

So now that you've unzipped the .osm file, the file is like this, correct?: SingaporeOSM.osm

And you're loading it into a new feature dataset, correct? E.g., creating a new feature dataset when you use the Load OSM File tool?

If you are doing these things, perhaps a screenshot of the Load OSM File tool when it is populated with your input parameters will help me understand. Can you provide one?

Many thanks,

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Once unzipped, the file name is "malaysia-singapore-brunei-latest.osm". I click on Load OSM File and input:

OSM File: C:...\Singapore GIS\malaysia-singapore-brunei-latest.osm
Target Feature Dataset: C:...\DatabaseGIS\GlobalCities.mdb\SingaporeOSM

Note that the folders DatabaseGIS and SingaporeGIS are in the same folder.

Thanks again so much!
Mar 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM
I actually found all the files in shapeformat from http://downloads.cloudmade.com/, so I guess I'll just use that.
Thanks again so much for your time.
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Hi, I have the same problem. I downloaded and unzipped the .osm file from geofabrik and want to import it into my newly created .mdb, but get the error: "Unable to create a revision table". I am using the newest version of the editor with ArcMap 10.2.2.
Any ideas?
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I'll take a look at it. In the meantime please use a file geodatabase to load the data. If you need to pass the data on to other users or other software packages please export the data into an Access database.
  • Thomas