Network dataset for pedestrians

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I'm new to the Editor for OpenStreetMap, and I am trying to generate a network dataset for pedestrians. I noticed that there are 3 network param files included with the package, but that none are for walking. Are there any param files out there for walking? What would be the easiest way to generate one?

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Hello Kevin,
Really good question. You are correct, we provide samples for driving and cycling, but not yet for pedestrians. The network configuration files are meant to be customized, as very few locations use route information the same way, and purposes for the network can differ - e.g., in many instances a river is a barrier; for shipping, a river is a 'road'.

For a pedestrian configuration, I recommend making a copy of either the drive or cycle configuration file (benefits from either: you certainly cannot walk along a freeway, but you can walk along roads; on the other hand, some cycle paths are not included in road routing). Then I'd look at the roads, barriers, etc. defined in the XML file and update according to pedestrian features that meet your criteria for your area of interest. Then when you run the Create OSM Network Dataset tool, you can point to your pedestrian configuration instead.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM
... Also - we'd be very interested in providing a pedestrian sample with our tools. Let us know if you get one configured that you'd be willing to share.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Hi Cristina, very good afternoon, you could please provide me the pedestrian sample you mention, thanks.

Att. Raúl.
Apr 21, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Hello Raul,
Unfortunately, we never received that sample from the user - not sure if he was successful in implementing it or not. So we do not yet have a sample for pedestrian routing. You could drive the 'CycleGeneric.xml' one, it is for bicycles, so could be a good start.