Uploading added feature doesn´t work

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Hi!

I do not manage to upload changes to the OSM, I am trying to add one riverbank (polygon) it works fine “at home” but uploading I get two differnet results none of them correct. One result is a message everything is ok and that one feature has been uploaded but when I go to OSM it tells me: "No bounding box has been stored for this changeset." The second result I have been able to get (twice, not sure what i did different) is that Result tells me everything is fine and 54 features has been uploaded, in this case data is taken by OSM, everything in the right place but only like 54 anonymous points.

I have tried download with symbolizing as well as just download OSM data, I also tried copying and pasting a shapefile into my OSM dataset as well as “draving” it node by node.
What am I doing wrong?

/Mats
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Hello Mats,
Apologies for the delay, I was travelling last week. Regarding the problems when you use the Upload OSM Data tool - will try the workflow with the "Bundle Data Uploads" box unchecked? Unchecking that box often provides us better information when errors occur.

Let me know if that helps with what you see posted to OpenStreetMap, or if it provides further error information in the ArcGIS Desktop interface.

Christine
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Hi Christine!

I am so happy to hear from you and this adds to the confidence that I have just reached about this crazy project I am working on. The project is a big thing for me personally and it has literally been eating me up but just about a day or two ago I got so confident that I finally managed to dissconect" my mind from it like I havent done for nearly two months.... I will use this opportunity to recover some strenght, get outside, get some exercise, rest and just fool around cause I need it......

When I get back again I will be very happy to take up this tread again with a fresch brain :-) Before I "check out", there is just one small suspicion in the back of my head I like to ask you about. I only have a Basic Licens for ArcGIS could this cause any problem handling the Editor? I have tried to make my own xml for attributes, pointed at it but the program don´t accept it, I know that there are some functionality concerning xml and databases that are blocked in the basic license, could this inteerfere the functionality of your Editor?

/Mats
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Hello Mats,
I received confirmation from our developers that the tools are designed to work on ArcGIS 10 Basic (although they'll work on the higher license levels as well). However, let me test your workflow with the latest and verify that it works fine in Basic. Should have an answer for you soon!

Christine
Mar 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Hi Christine!

I am not a computer guy and I always try the shortcuts first..... but now I have done my homework and figuread out about Toolbox history and how to handle these files and now I think I can give you a far better chance to help me out. There is no problem with bbox any more but polygons are still simply not taken

Today I have made it extremely simple. I downloaded a very small area around our house, added a point, a line and some polygons. OSM takes it back, the standalone node is no problem nor is the line but the polygons are just taken up as single nodes with no tags, same as all the other times excep twice (out of meybe 50 tries) when one polygon out of tree actually was taken as a polygon (relation in OSM), not sure what was different on these tries.

I have also tried to load a osm file and then just save it back again as an OSM file, according to the result report this works with the nodes but then it crasches.

With the new knoledge I have aquired today I have saved quite a bit of documentation on these problems, report-files, with comments inside as well as links to changesets in OSM, revison tables, with comments, and a simple screenshot that shows what I did add according to ArcGIS.... you can find it all here:

Dropbox with some results from trying

By the way, do you get my toolbox reports when I use your uploading tool? I guess you might but if you already have it I have at least done a good job sorting out the essense of each problem among very many similar reports.

Over and out from a very cold Sweden
/Mats
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Hello Mats,
I was able to retrieve your files from dropbox, and hope to give them a closer look later on today (unless someone else on the forum answers first!). Thanks for providing such a detailed report, we should be able to figure out what's wrong now.

Will send news as soon as I have it.

Christine
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Just take your time Christine.

Knowing you care means problem is solved and that´s enough for me for quite a while. Downloading works just fine and I have tons of things to do before uploading data gets important.

/Mats
Mar 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Did anyone look into this extremely basic but still completely impossible try to Edit OSM with the Editor?
Coordinator
Mar 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Hello Mats,
I spent some time looking at the issue. I determined a few things - first, I've confirmed that it is not an issue with your licensing, as all of my testing was done with the ArcView/Basic license. I was able to replicate the issue with the polygon - I uploaded a point, line, and polygon to the dev API without issue (see http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/20924), and note that the nodes of the polygon but not the actual tags or relations seemed to come through. Am going to log this as a bug, and check if there is a workaround in the meantime.

Christine