OSM Network Dataset PROBLEM

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Hi,

I've got a huge problem with the Network Dataset from OSM.
I created a network from OSM-File for Brandenburg, Germany downloaded from Geofabrik.de.
There are about 100.000 streets in it and about 2/3 from the streets have no values for the maximum speed. I need this values for creating Service Areas in the Network Analyst in ArcGIS.
I wanted to do this as realistic as possible, so I split the streets in these, that are in towns and the rest of Brandenburg. So I got two shapes. I added the values and merge the shapes into one again. Then I created the network.
But while creating routes I observed, that for example the route was created without following any rules: normally you get on a motorway only over a motorway link, but in my network no links were considered.
Do you have any idea how I can solve the problem without adding the values for soooo many streets manualy?

I would be grateful for any help.

Weronika
Developer
Feb 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Hi Weronika,

Can you tell us which OSM network dataset configuration XML you are using? If it's: DriveGeneric.xml, then the 'speed' network attribute should be assigned a default value (based on the type of the road) if the MaxSpeed OSM tag is empty. You can confirm this by using the Network Analyst Identify tool in ArcMap and verifying that the speed attribute has a valid value after building the network dataset.

For the motorway_link to motorway issues, OSM 'oneway' and 'access' tags (along with specific turn restriction relations) are used to determine where turns can and cannot be made. If these restrictions do not exist in the data, we have no way of knowing which turns are valid. So you may need to update the data to get a more accurate network.

Note that the configuration XML files (i.e. DriveGeneric.xml) are intended as samples and may be freely edited to take advantage of local tags and conventions. So if there are specific OSM tags that are populated for your area, you can add or edit network attributes via the configuration XML to take advantage of those tags.

Regards,
-Greg
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Hi Greg,

I'm using the DriveGeneric.xml configuration.
I checked the speed attributes with the Network Analyst Identify tool as you suggested and you're right, every road has a speed value now.
But they aren't in the attribute table so I thought, that I have to verify them on my own...

Thank you so much for help.
Now I can move on with my analysis.

Regards,
Weronika