Changing the reference system

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Hi,

I dowloaded some OSM Data for the network analysys in ArcGIS.
My whole project is in the reference system: ETRS_1989_UTM_Zone_33N_7stellen.
Is it possible to change the reference system of the OSM data if it is in a geodatabase and than working with it by creating the network dataset?

Any ideas how it woked?

Thanks for help,
Weronika
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Hello Weronika,
Once you use the Create OSM Network Dataset tool on the OSM geodatabase, the data upon which that Create OSM Network Dataset tool is run loses its ability to be directly uploaded back to OSM after editing. So you won't have to worry about causing problems with compatibility back to OSM, and so can use coordinate or projection transformation tools on the data. The workflow could be 1) make a copy of the OSM gdb as a backup, 2) run the Create OSM Network Dataset tool, 3) use the ArcMap coordinate or reproject tools to project the data to your desired reference system.

Let me know if this makes sense or if I'm not understanding your question correctly.

Christine
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Hi,

I stucked here with the problem. I tried to solve this the way you wrote, but if I want to reproject the data, it is only possible for the shapes, not for the network_dataset. And without this, I can't do any network analysis. Do you have any idea how I could transform the whole geodatabase with all of features that are in?

Weronika
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM
And everytime I tried to reproject the geodatabase I get this error:

Executing: Project "D:\Rohe Daten\brandenburg.osm\OSM_dataset.gdb\dataset" "D:\Rohe Daten\brandenburg.osm\OSM_dataset.gdb\dataset_proj" PROJCS['ETRS_1989_UTM_Zone_33N_7stellen',GEOGCS['GCS_ETRS_1989',DATUM['D_ETRS_1989',SPHEROID['GRS_1980',6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM['Greenwich',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION['Transverse_Mercator'],PARAMETER['False_Easting',3500000.0],PARAMETER['False_Northing',0.0],PARAMETER['Central_Meridian',15.0],PARAMETER['Scale_Factor',0.9996],PARAMETER['Latitude_Of_Origin',0.0],UNIT['Meter',1.0]] ETRS_1989_To_WGS_1984 GEOGCS['GCS_WGS_1984',DATUM['D_WGS_1984',SPHEROID['WGS_1984',6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM['Greenwich',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433],METADATA['World',-180.0,-90.0,180.0,90.0,0.0,0.0174532925199433,0.0,1262]]
Start Time: Wed Feb 06 12:17:21 2013
__ERROR 000210: Cannot create output D:\Rohe Daten\brandenburg.osm\OSM_dataset.gdb\dataset_proj
Failed to execute (Project).__
Failed at Wed Feb 06 12:17:24 2013 (Elapsed Time: 3,00 seconds)

Weronika
Feb 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Hi one more time,

I still didn't solve the problem.
I try to reproject the geodatabase where the OSM data with the created network_dataset is saved.
In the picture are all components of the geodatabase.

For the reprojection i use:
--> ArcToolbox --> Data Management Tools --> Projections and Transformations --> Feature --> Project

As "Imput Database" I choose the "dataset" feature class from the "OSM_dataset.gdb" (see picture)
As "Output Dataset" I choose other geodatabase/other geodatabase with new feature class

I alsways get the error descriebed in the post above --> ERROR 000210.
The error description: The output cannot be created. Potential reasons include data locking, an incorrect path, and limited access rights.
The solution: Confirm that the data is not locked by another user or application and that you have full rights to the workspace being used. Check to make sure that the path to the data is correct (check for typos in the folder path). Try creating the output in a new location.

I'm working on my own computer, so I'm the administrator, there are also no other programms using the data, so only the path could be wrong, but I'm not sure about it.

Any ideas how it could work?
For a timely response, I would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Weronika

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Hello Weronika,
I just completed loading a GDB of Berlin and running this workflow. I got an error too, but not the one you reported. So I'll need to examine both the issue you've reported and the error with my dataset. I hope to have an answer for you soon.

Christine
Feb 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Hi,

I tried it one more time by tricking ArcGIS.
  1. I took the geodatabase (bevor running the "Create network dataset" processing) co there where just shapes for polygons, lines and points.
  2. I reprojected each of them. I saved the new shape in the same geodatabase.
  3. I deleted the "old" shapes and the feature data class.
  4. I created a new feature class with the same name als the old one, put the the reprojected shapes and renamed it, just like the old ones were.
  5. I run the created network dataset process and it worked! At least it seems so...
Could you try it same way and tell me if I'm right?

Weronika
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Hello Weronika,
The workflow you described seems like it should work. The one I tried last night was similar, and you may find it to save you a little time. What I did was Load the OSM file into a GDB, then run the Project tool on the feature dataset within the gdb. Then I verified that the name of my feature dataset and the feature classes within it were the same (the tools work better with them having the same name), and then ran the Create OSM Network Dataset tool. So, similar to your workflow, except that I got an error near the end of the process. Am investigating my error now.

The best way to tell if everything is working right is to actually create a route using the ArcGIS Network Analyst tools with your data and see if the results are as-expected.

Christine
Developer
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM
<div> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:">Christine,</span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"></span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:">Just noticed this discussion….</span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"></span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:">You can also set the output projection in the download tool itself. If you change the GP environment of the tool or the model in which the tool is executing then the tool should respect that. The environment parameter is called “output coordinates”. It will save you the reprojection later on and all the tools downstream will just automagically pick up the spatial reference.</span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"></span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:">- Thomas</span></p> <p><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"></span></p> <div> <div style="border:none; border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt; padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in"> <p><b><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:">From:</span></b><span style="font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"> Weronika [email removed] <br> <b>Sent:</b> Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:09 AM<br> <b>To:</b> Thomas Emge<br> <b>Subject:</b> Re: Changing the reference system [esriosmeditor:432089]</span></p> </div> </div> <p></p> <p><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">From: Weronika</span></p> <div id="ThreadNotificationPostBody" style="margin-bottom:24.0pt"> <p><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">Hi, <br> <br> I tried it one more time by tricking ArcGIS. </span></p> <p style="margin-left:.5in; text-indent:-.25in"><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:"><span style="">1.<span style="font:7.0pt"> </span></span></span><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">I took the geodatabase (bevor running the &quot;Create network dataset&quot; processing) co there where just shapes for polygons, lines and points.</span></p> <p style="margin-left:.5in; text-indent:-.25in"><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:"><span style="">2.<span style="font:7.0pt"> </span></span></span><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">I reprojected each of them. I saved the new shape in the same geodatabase. </span></p> <p style="margin-left:.5in; text-indent:-.25in"><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:"><span style="">3.<span style="font:7.0pt"> </span></span></span><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">I deleted the &quot;old&quot; shapes and the feature data class. </span></p> <p style="margin-left:.5in; text-indent:-.25in"><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:"><span style="">4.<span style="font:7.0pt"> </span></span></span><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">I created a new feature class with the same name als the old one, put the the reprojected shapes and renamed it, just like the old ones were.</span></p> <p style="margin-left:.5in; text-indent:-.25in"><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:"><span style="">5.<span style="font:7.0pt"> </span></span></span><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">I run the created network dataset process and it worked! At least it seems so...</span></p> <p><span style="font-size:9.0pt; font-family:">Could you try it same way and tell me if I'm right? <br> <br> Weronika</span></p> </div> </div>
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM
"Christine,
Just noticed this discussion…. You can also set the output projection in the download tool itself. If you change the GP environment of the tool or the model in which the tool is executing then the tool should respect that. The environment parameter is called “output coordinates”. It will save you the reprojection later on and all the tools downstream will just automagically pick up the spatial reference. - Thomas"

Update - this is how the tool is designed to work but the check the tools do to compare the spatial references is failing (alias was always an empty string) so no geometry projection was happening. Our developer just fixed this so its in the source code, but not in the current release. So in the next release, it will work as Thomas indicate.