ArcGIS crashed down while creating Network Dataset from OSM

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Hi,

I try to create a network dataset from OSM File for analysis with the Network Analyst Extention for my Master Thesis.

I downloades the data from Geofabrik.de and loaded the .osm file using "Load OSM File". Saved the map with the created dataset. Reopend ArcGIS and tried to run "Create Network Analyst". It woked until the creating network process started. Than ArcGIS crashed down, without any notice.

First I thougt, it is because of the size of the data. I tried it first with Brandenburg. But than i switched to Bremen (three times smaller than Brandenburg), but it did't solve the problem. ArcGIS crashed down at the same place.

Is there any solution for this problem?

Or generelly any other solution for creating data for working with Network Analyst with OSM data?

I use ArcGIS 10.1 (60-days trail) & Windows 7 (x64).

Thanks and Regards,

Weronika

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Hello Weronika,

Do you have background processing enabled when you use the Create OSM Network Dataset tool? There are some workflows where the background processing results in locks on data and then the tools cannot proceed. Uncheck the "Enable" background processing box (see http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00210000003q000000) and then try your workflow - or if you've already unchecked it and are still getting the issue, let us know and we'll look further into this.

Christine

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Hi Christine,

I've unchecked the 'Enable' background processing box befor I started with Creating OSM Network Dataset.
I tried it one more time, but still the same problem.
I tried it also on an another computer, with Vista, same problem at same moment.
Can it depends on the 60-days version from ArcGIS?

Weronika
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I don't think it is related to the 60 day trail version - we can look at that though if we rule out all other possibilities.

Basic question but I have to ask - do you have the Network Analyst extension enabled? You can check in ArcMap by clicking on the Customize menu, then Extensions, and verifying that "Network Analyst" is checked.

Please confirm this is the case - if not, try with it enabled, and if so let me know and I'll continue troubleshooting with you.

Thanks!

Christine
Jan 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Hmm... I did it one more time.
This time I chose 'driveGeneric' instead of 'DriveNeters' as ND_ConfigFile from ArcToolbox as Network Configuration File for the network an it worked!
Is there a difference between them for the network analysis?
I have to do time analysis for my master thesis like: how many doctors you can reach in 30 minutes driving time from one point.
Does it change the results of the analysis?
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Glad that it worked for you. Note, the configuration XMLs for the routing are samples; you may want to think about updating them for your area of interest, and specific features you want to consider as routes, barriers, etc.

The difference between the DriveGeneric.xml and the DriveMeters.xml is that DriveGeneric can be used for automobile routing regardless of spatial reference (e.g., the projection of the data you will be using, the data when applied to your ArcMap environment, or any other info in the downloaded OSM data) whereas DriveMeters.xml is used for automobile routing when the spatial reference of your osm feature dataset has a linear unit of meters.

For most purposes, the DriveGeneric will be a good place to start.

Christine
Feb 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Where can we obtain network configuration files? I have saved the sample XMLs but for some reason, it does not let me load it into ArcGIS. It does not not show up when I try to load in onto network configuration files. Please let me know. Thank you.
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Hello Harunita,

You should make sure to use the Network Configuration files that come with the ArcGIS Editor for OSM, and not the downloadable Sample XMLs, as those are now deprecated. At the latest release, the Network Configuration files can be browsed to at this location (note, "ArcGIS Installation Directory> is usually C:\Program Files...):

<ArcGIS Installation Directory>\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\ND_ConfigFiles

When you use one of the files there, do you have the same issue?

Christine