Unable to locate osm_domains.xml

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Hi,

I successfully installed the OSM2.1 toolbar with ArcGIS10.1 SP1 but get an error message when I try to execute any of the OSM tools:

"Unable to locate the osm_domains.xml (domain configurations) file."

I already tried to change the installation path (../esri; ../ArcGIS10.1) but this doesn't help.

Thank you for your help.

Stefan

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Hello Stefan,

The osm_domains.xml file should get installed with the ArcGIS Editor for OSM. It sounds like perhaps your instance is not finding it at the location where it wants to look for it.  Here is how to check: In ArcMap, enable the Editor toolbar (e.g., Customize menu at top, select "Toolbars", make sure "Editor" is checked).  Then when you click on the "Editor" button on the Editor toolbar, you'll see at the bottom of the menu "Options". Click Options, and select the OpenStreetMap tab in the Options window.  The second field in that window is "OSM Domains", and should be a filepath to the osm_domains.xml file.  Check the following:

1) Does the domain listed there exist on your computer?

2) If so, is there an osm_domains.xml file at that location (probably not)? 

3) In either case, do this: Browse to the place where you installed ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap (e.g., typically something like C:\Program Files\ESRI\OSMEditor) and open the "Bin" folder. Is there an "osm_domains.xml" file there? If so, update this OMS Domains parameter in the OpenStreetMap options on the Editor toolbar to the location of your osm_domains.xml file - something like C:\Program Files\ESRI\OSMEditor\Bin\osm_domains.xml. Then Click OK.  ArcMap should remember this preference and you should no longer see the error.

Let me know if this works for you.

Christine

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Dear Christine,

thank you very much for your precise description.

I adjusted the path in the Editor Toolbar and now everything is working fine.

Thanks and regards,

Stefan

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM

That's great Stefan. Thanks for the update!

Christine

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
i have same issue but when i try to set the path its not saving
i dont know the problem
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Hello a_yacoub1,
Apologies for the delay - are you still having an issue with the osm_domains.xml file?

Christine
Feb 10, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Hello everybody,
I have a very similar Problem, but my osm_domains.xml file is at the right/default place. I am running ArcGIS 10.2.1 with 64 bit geoprocessing on a Windows 7 enterprise Server (because I updated the Workstation to ArcGIS 10.3 I tried to to this on our GIS-Server).

Thanky you very much for any help!
Regards
John

Here are my ArcGIS Georocessing "Messages"
Executing: OSMGPFileLoader C:\Users\frie_hr\Downloads\niedersachsen-latest.osm DO_NOT_CONSERVE_MEMORY "E:\Virtuelle Welt Processing\OSM.gdb\NS_Feb2015b" "E:\Virtuelle Welt Processing\OSM.gdb\NS_Feb2015b\NS_Feb2015b_osm_pt" "E:\Virtuelle Welt Processing\OSM.gdb\NS_Feb2015b\NS_Feb2015b_osm_ln" "E:\Virtuelle Welt Processing\OSM.gdb\NS_Feb2015b\NS_Feb2015b_osm_ply"
Start Time: Tue Feb 10 13:11:30 2015
Counting elements in OSM file...
Counted 19780354 nodes, 3251662 ways, and 47382 relations.
Unable to locate the osm_domains.xml (domain configurations) file.
Failed to execute (OSMGPFileLoader).
Failed at Tue Feb 10 13:12:29 2015 (Elapsed Time: 58,43 seconds)
Developer
Feb 10, 2015 at 8:54 PM
John,

please make sure that you are have the configurations show up in this environment.

http://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Change%20OSM%20Editing%20Options&referringTitle=Change%20the%20Data%20Model

If you see the xml file listed in this UI you should good to go.
  • Thomas
Feb 11, 2015 at 5:59 PM
Thomas, thank you for your quick reply! The solution was quite easy. Just restart the machine. As the machine is also working as a server I couldn´t do that without the admin. I gues it was ArcGIS 10.2.1 that needed a "restart" - it was freshly installed
just before. Be happy! John
Apr 30, 2015 at 7:26 PM
Hi I am having this same issue, I am working with OSM a lot on a project. No matter how many times I replace the paths in the configuration it still is throwing this error. I restart my computer and it works once or twice then says the error again, then restart again, etc. It is getting a bit frustrating to keep having to restart my pc everytime I want to run a task. I am using ArcGIS Advanced 10.2.2
Coordinator
May 2, 2015 at 1:24 AM
Hello JMoriLumos - Just a note here to let you know we hear you. I'll forward your note to our dev team to see if there are suggestions. Agree, restarting your machine everytime you want to do a task isn't an acceptable workflow. - Christine
Coordinator
May 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM
Hello JMoriLumos - one question to you. Do you have the ArcGIS Desktop 64 bit extension installed? Maybe try un-installing the 64bit extension and see if that makes a difference? This is puzzling - if you make the changes through the UI you should not have to change it again. But I know that's not the case.