Unable to download OSM data into ArcMap 10

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Hi, I'm involved in a class project where I have to update our campus's data on OpenStreetMap. I am having a problem downloading the data from OSM into ArcMap 10 so that I can edit it. I do not recieve an error message while using the Download, Extract, and Symbolize tool, but the process is not being executed. I have been following the steps ESRI has set up at http://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Download%20Data%20from%20OSM&referringTitle=Documentation#Download%20XAPI , but I do not know what I am doing wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Hello Rush1228,

A couple of things to keep in mind - the first is the size of the extent you are downloading.  OpenStreetMap does not let users download more than 50,000 nodes at a time (that's not a whole lot actually).  So when you choose an extent to download with the Download, Extract, and Symbolize tool, try a smaller area (e.g., a neighborhood just to get started).

If that does not help - can you clarify what you mean by the process does not execute? Do you mean the tool doesn't run at all?  Or that it runs, but no results are added to your display and no error messages are supplied?

And final question: are you downloading to a local file geodatabase, or an SDE repository?

Many thanks,

Christine

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Hi Christine,

I was able to finally download the OSM data onto ArcGIS,  and now I have appended the data set I want to upload to OSM.  I keep getting error messages when trying to upload the data back onto OSM. I have tried multiple times to upload this data. Thanks for any help!

The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

Placeholder node not found for reference -1413 in way -2944

I also had an error saying: Cannot parse valid way from xml string <way visible="true"/>. Changeset id is missing

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hello Rush,

Thanks for the update. I will talk to our team here and see what we can suggest.  We want this to work for you! I assume you are following the directions at http://esriosmeditor.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Contribute%20Your%20Dataset%20to%20OSM&referringTitle=Documentation?

May 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Edited May 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Hello Christine,

I am working on a research project in the EJ arena and am hoping to use some OSM data for my analyses. For a trial run I tried to download a map base using the  'Donwload, Extract and Symbolize OSM Data' model in the ArcGIS OpenStreetMapToolBox. The model starts running but then I receive a message that it was not executed with the following details (see screenshot below). I was donwloading to a file geodatabase and the extent was Fresno County in California.

Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong and how I can fix that?

[in case the screeshot doesn't transmit, the error message reads as follows:

x The operation was attempted on an empty geometry.

x  bei ESRI.ArcGIS.Geometry.IArea.get_Area()

x  bei ESRI.ArcGIS.OSM.GeoProcessing.OSMGPDownload.Execute(IArray paramvalues,ITrackCancel TrackCancel, IGPEnvironmentManager envMgr, IGPMessages message, Boolean bServer)

x Failed to execute (Download OSM Data).

Many thanks,

pg

Developer
May 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Hi PG,

Can you please post the input extent parameters that you pass to the Download, Extract & Symbolize tool?  I think the extent may not be set properly or is too big for the OSM server.  The OSM server only allows a small extent by area or a maximum of 50,000 nodes to be retrieved in any single request.

If you post your extent parameters we'll be able to better check what's going on.

Thanks,

-Greg 

May 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Edited May 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Hi Greg,

Coordinates: I am using the following coordinate system: NAD_1983_StatePlane_California_II_FIPS_0402_Feet

I had previously set that to WGS 1984 for the data frame and the layers but had received warnings about the spatial extent when importing the layers into ArcMap. With the above coordinate system I no longer receive these warnings, but now the results log for trying to run the OSM import in ArcGIS looks different. Interestingly, it for example no longer shows the correct date and time at which the process was run.

Extent: I originally tried to download data for Fresno County, CA. I have now reduced this to the following extent:

1729571.42832 488615.375 1807029.83027 568978.3125 (set in the tool's interface as 'same as layer x').

I no longer receive a warning about the extent being too large from the tool  but also do not see the procedure being indicated in the little process window at the bottom of the ArcMap window. Since I am not sure if screenshots of the log are visible when I post them in here, I will send you one per e-mail, in case that helps.

Thanks for getting back,

Phil

PS: Ah, just saw that images are removed from e-mails. If a screenshot would help, let me know how to get it to you.

Developer
May 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Phil,

I tried to use your extent and ended up somewhere in the Pacific ocean.  Could you try the using the display extent for your download extent and see if it works for you?  Just zoom in to a small area on the map and then use the OSM download tool, but choose 'same as display' for the extent.  This will eliminate any strange extent error on external layer data.

-Greg