Simple Getting Started Guide

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:52 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Hi - I was not familiar with installing ArcGIS plugins, so it took some trial and error for me to get this working.  I was working with a 60-day trial of ArcGIS 10.0

If you are having issues getting started, I hope these steps are helpful to you:

1) Install and register ArcGIS 10.0. If you have the trial edition, you need to create an account on ESRI's website and enter your key on http://esri.com/evalactivation , BEFORE using ArcGIS Administrator to register ArcEditor Single Use on your computer.

2) Run ArcMap and ensure it's working. There are several included world maps to get started, and the basemap tool on the top toolbar has an OpenStreetMap option. Save your map and exit.

3) Download the stable version of the OSM Editor (currently 1.1) and *not the beta*. Run the Setup exe.

4) *Copy* the data and bin folders from C:\Program Files\ESRI\OSM Editor\ to C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\ArcGIS\

5) Start ArcMap, re-load your map, and click the Catalog box on the right side of the map.

6) Right-click on Folder Connections and select Connect Folder...

7) Select your C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\ArcGIS\Data folder

8) Click [+] boxes to expand the folder and the toolbox inside

9) Zoom in on a small area, around the size of a neighborhood for a start. You will download every line that passes through your view, so a national highway would take time.

10) Double-click "Download and Symbolize OSM Data" In the window, set Extent to "Same as Display". The north/south/east/west bounds will get values automatically.

11) Click the Target Feature Dataset textbox. In the file window, click the cylinder with a house to enter Default.gdb -- If that doesn't exist, click the cylinder with a star on it to create a new File Geodatabase. Use another tool such as ArcCatalog to set this as the default geodatabase, and return to this step.

12) Type a unique name for the Featureset you're creating inside the database, such as OSMimport1, and click Save.

13) Click OK and wait for download. You should see a scrolling Downloading and Symbolizing OSM Data... on the bottom of the window. Make sure your internet connection is not interrupted. 

14) You'll see a green checkmark, red X, or black dot when the process finishes. Click to see a breakdown of what happened. Unfortunately in v1.1 these messages are not easy to work with.

15) To read data, use the identify tool (blue circle with a white i) and click individual items.

OTHER TOOLS

16) The "Load OSM File" tool in the same toolbox is simpler: start with an OSM file from http://download.cloudmade.com or OSM's API: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6

17) Use the first file option to select your OSM file. For the second box, as in Steps 11-12, use the file window to go inside your default geodatabase and save with a unique name such as osmdownload1

18) I haven't tried uploading, but it looks like you can create any OpenStreetMap.org account and make it work.

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Thanks for providing these clear steps for getting started. We have a getting started guide also at our documentation page but these augment that nicely. Yes, you do need to have an OSM.org account in order to use the Upload Tool.

If you have any questions or ideas, please keep em' coming!

Christine