Trying to load a pre-existing OSM file into

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM

We are trying to load a pre-existing OSM file we have created in our own OSM software stack back into the official site. Is there an easy way to do this?

Some detail -  The problem with the "load osm file" tool is the geodatabase feature classes and tables for editing are created but not populated.  We have the correct tags but cannot get them to transfer into the editing feature classes.  

Thanks for your help - Greg

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hello Greg,

Good to hear from you.  Let me make sure I understand the issue. You have an .osm file you have created with your stack, and you want to upload the changes back to OpenStreetMap. So you are wanting to use the "Load OSM File" from the ArcGIS Editor for OSM toolbox to translate the .osm file into the OpenStreetMap schema, and then use the "Upload to OSM" to to publish it to OSM. Is that the desired workflow?

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Hi Christine. Yes, We have created the OSM file with our own stack and it's already in the official OSM schema (tagging system) with all the attribution we want to keep. From here we want to use the "Upload to OSM" tool to publish it to OSM. That's the work flow. - Greg and Austin (USGS) 

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM

The tricky thing - which you are probably aware of - is that the Upload to OSM tool uploads the revisions tracked in a revision table. The revisions are tracked during the editing sessions. So, as you noted in your first comment, the issue is getting the changes into that table.

Let me see if there is an easy way to do that, I can check with the dev team.  Is it possible to share your .osm file, or a portion of it?  You can send a download location, or a .zip file, to my email. Or, we can also set up an ftp if easier.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Christine, The OSM file was created in our own stack. FME was then applied to convert the OSM file into the standard tagging schema from the official OSM site. We will then use the OSM Editor for ArcGIS to check our versions of structure points against the official version to make sure we're not duplicating points. Once these few conflicts are detected and fixed, we then want to load our OSM file into the official OSM site. There may be nothing in the revision table since most of our points are not being revised using the OSM editor for ArcGIS tool in our process. We are mostly using it to load data. Not sure if that's possible. I'm sending an example file to your email address. Thanks Christine - Greg.