Problem with installation

May 31, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Hello all,

I am trying to install ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap 1.1 (released 20 Apr 2011 and updated 21 Apr 2011) on my Windows Vista for use with ArcGIS Desktop 9.3. The installation show a number of errors like this: "Error opening file for writing: \help\gp\osmgpaddextension.xml". I can complete the installation despite the errors but there is nothing in OpenStreetMap Toolbox.tbx at the end of it, so nothing loads when I try to add the toolbox in ArcMap. Is this due to the fact I don't have the latest version of ArcGIS? If so, would any earlier versions of ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap be compatible with ArcGIS 9.3?

Many thanks

May 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Hi cieronymidou,

The version 1.1 release - and previous 1.0 releases - were designed for the ArcGIS Desktop 10 platform only.  I see that the documentation on the Installation topic was not explicit on this; it has been updated thanks to your feedback.  We are not aware of any workarounds to make ArcGIS Editor for OSM compatible with 9.3; you would have to upgrade to ArcGIS Desktop 10.

May 31, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Hi eggwhites,

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I can't upgrade because I am using ArcGIS at my institution and am not in control of the software versions. That's a shame, but this is a useful tool, I hope it continues to be successful.

May 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. We are currently working on a feature-service component for ArcGIS Editor for OSM that would allow for updating OSM from a variety of clients through an ArcGIS Server feature service.  This will allow users flexibility; they can post updates to OSM through ArcGIS Desktop as in our version 1.1 release, and/or they can consume the feature service and update OSM through mobile clients, the API-based map viewers (e.g., flex, javascript, silverlight), and others.  So in your case, your institution could set up the feature service, and you could access and update it even through the 9.3 Desktop by interacting with the service.  Just a note of what's coming down the line later this year... :)

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:01 AM

That sounds brilliant!

Will definitely keep an eye out for it =)