status information of Editortools via python

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I am wondering if it is possible to get status information about a tool executed via pythonscript (eg. FileLoader or AttributeSelector) during runtime of the tool to either print the progress in percent to the console eg. every 30 sec or use a percentage return value of the tool to show a statusbar in a gui.

AttSelector shows its progress when executed in Arcmap, FileLoader doesnt. But I think this is a whole other story when executed out of the Arc graphical environment.

thanks,

Tilo

Developer
Apr 6, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Tilo,

that depends on the tool. The Attribute Selector tool has a finite set features (feature count on a feature class) and as such is reporting back a progress percentage. The File loader however doesn't have that prior knowledge because it would have to traverse the xml document first to figure out how many features it has to deal with. Hence it is reporting messages back to the user to keep you informed about the "progress"  - just not as a percentage of completed work.

- Thomas

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Thomas,

yes, with Fileloader that is, what is printed to the resultwindow in arcmap. Is it possible to print those results to the console when arcmap is closed and the tool is just called by a Python script? This is not really neccessary, but it would be nice to see, that something is happening, when loading a larger file.

another question: I want to delete some of the fields Fileloader produces. If I use arcpy.DeleteField_management(test, "boundary") eg., I get ERROR 000308: Invalid field type. I think the reason is that those fields have "required=True". Is it possible to change the required status or to differently delete required fields?

thanks,

Tilo